MOSTLY PLANT-BASED BURGER YOUR WAY
(for additional Beet recipes and the nutritional value read Don’t Skip a Beet)
It’s come to my attention of the many meat substitutes that are frankly really scary and processed. I asked could I turn these beets into something as satisfying as a burger without the meat? Hell yeah. What fun it was trying to create the fifth element of taste, the mysterious umami flavor that we all crave and know well when we bite into it. ⠀
- 1 large beet
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon honey (vegans can use rice syrup)
- 3/4 pound shitake mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 onions
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 1 cup black beluga lentils
- 1 cup forbidden rice
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 8 hamburger buns
- Anchovy (trust me) it’s the yum in the umami needed to delight the palate. Vegans can use dulse flakes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F
- Peel the beets and quarter them. Toss with the balsamic vinegar, honey, and thyme. Wrap in parchment. Roast in the oven for 50-60 minutes.
Cook one cup of lentils per directions on the package.
- Heat a saute pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil to medium-low heat. Thinly slice the 2 onions. Add into the saute pan with cumin spice and saute for about 30 minutes. Stir every couple of minutes.
- While the onions are caramelizing, heat a saute pan to medium heat with olive oil and chop the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute or two. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Now that everything is cooked, it’s time to make the burgers. Take out your food processor and assemble the ingredients. Take half of the veggies and pulse until combined and only slightly pureed. Remove and puree the rest of the veggies.
- Now, combine everything and mix well. Season with salt. Form into individual patties.
- Sear the burgers in a saute pan with olive oil over medium for about 5 minutes on each side. You want a nice outer crisp and heated through.
Picked red onion, romaine lettuce, sliced avocado, mustard Really anything you prefer and some yogurt sauce.