When I was a student studying abroad in Florence, I became obsessed with the creamy hazelnut filling and surprised nutty crunch in the center of it. On top of it, Perugina, the Italian confectionery that created them in 1922, decided to wrap each chocolate kiss in a love note, using famous quotes and poetic verses. I was all in and in a scrapbook; I’m embarrassed to admit I have saved all the wrappers!!
for your holiday gift exchanges, here’s an idea to prepare your loved ones with a protein-rich, real ingredient homemade version but the love notes are up to you.
HP’s Tante Baci
Serving: 12 truffles
- Place the raw hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast until the skins start to flake off. About 10 mins in a 350-degree oven
- Place the roasted hazelnuts into a food processor and blitz until finely ground.
- Add the seeds, dates, oil, protein powder, orange zest, and blitz until the mixture is well combined and holds its shape when you roll it out.
- Roll into a tablespoon-sized ball using wet hands. Place in fridge to cook for 30 mins or more.
- If you want to coat and decorate them, melt 100g of dark chocolate and dip each Baci bite, then place them on a lined parchment paper baking sheet.
- On a lined parchment baking sheet, sprinkle your desired coatings, and pop them bake into the fridge for about an hour to set.